Pages

Thursday, May 22, 2014

Attending City law for ethnic minorities? Wan did and now has secured a training contract with none other than Baker & McKenzie for 2016!

Last month we received this great email from Wan Fan….

In 2012, I attended City Law for ethnic minorities and had the opportunity to meet representatives from Baker & McKenzie for the first time. A year later I interned for the law firm during the summer and now I have accepted a training contract with them to begin 2016. There is no doubt that the event was informative and helped me, in some form or another, achieve a training contract with Baker & McKenzie. I would like to express my thanks to all those involved in the project!



We got back in touch with Wan and wanted to know what made him apply for the event in the first place and asked him to give you advice if you are attending the event this year!

Why did you apply to attend City law for ethnic minorities?
Although I was already interested in law at that point, I had no experience in commercial law and so wanted to learn more about the sector.

What was the best part of the event?
My favourite aspect of the event was that we all had the chance to visit the firm’s offices and speak to trainee solicitors, qualified solicitors and representatives from graduate recruitment. There is no better way to learn about a firm (and its people and culture) than actually visiting it in person.

What was the best piece of advice you gained from attending the event?
Get to understand what city lawyers do and their role in the wider economy. It's not enough to know what lawyers do on a daily basis in isolation. You need to have an understanding of how they interact with other city players (e.g. other companies, government institutions, and other law firms) and, perhaps more importantly, you need to understand that law firms are businesses in themselves.

What has been the best thing that has happened to you since the event?
After the event I interned during the summer, first at the Ministry of Justice and next with Baker & McKenzie. After the vacation scheme, I was offered a training contract by Baker & McKenzie.

Tell us about your training contract with Baker & McKenzie
I will go to law school this September to start my GDL and then an accelerated six-month LPC. During my vacation scheme I was able to work within two different departments at the firm and I am very excited to join them in 2016!

Finally, what would you say to others considering attending City law for ethnic minorities?
The event is an excellent and perhaps one-off opportunity, to visit law firms and speak to lawyers. Anyone considering commercial law as a career or looking to learn more about the sector should apply. There will never be another chance to visit so many law firms in so few days!



Thanks for the tips Wan and all the best for the future!


Want to read more about the event and the companies attending? Head over to targetjobsevents.co.uk/city-law-for-ethnic-minorities to find out more!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your comments and feedback here: