Pages

Saturday, July 5, 2014

Goodbye student life, HELLO graduate living

As graduation is fast approaching, job hunting is the top priority for most students.

After the ceremony has ended and the few days you spent celebrating with your friends and family are over because yes you have finally made it, and hooray you didn't fail. It is time for you to organise yourself and figure out what you're going to do.

Whether you have decided to take a year out to travel around Australia or the USA or to find yourself your first graduate job, it is better to have a plan. 

When looking for a job there are a few steps you need to take to get the process started.


I understand this process extremely well, so I decided to share what insight I have to encourage and hopefully help you with your transition from student life to graduate living.

When I began my job hunt I had to create a list of my expectations, what my priorities are and what was most important to me.

The list

The questions I asked myself...

What am I looking for?
Where could I see myself?
Which industry is right for me?


I came to the conclusion that I wanted to work within an industry where progression was important, where I could develop my knowledge and be able to freely use my creativity to inspire and design products. 


I also wanted a job where I could earn good money so I could still relish in those student antics of a good night out, but most importantly I wanted a job that I enjoyed. 

And here I am – a digital marketing executive for the biggest student recruitment company within the UK. 

When you've finally made the decision of what you want to do, you have to then start the application process.

What to expect
  • Create your CV and covering letter – if you’re thinking of applying for various roles you will need to cater your CV to that specific role in question. Here are some hints and tips to help you.
  • Preparation – once you have secured an interview you will need to research the company vigorously, you won’t be expected to know everything however you will be expected to know the basics and be in a position to answer their questions with confidence.Have a read of our article 'Eight steps to graduate interview success'.
  • What to wear – your appearance matches your ambition in an interview, you want to make a good impression. People tend to form their opinion of a person within the first few seconds of meeting them. Don't make that first impression a bad one. If you look scruffy you will come across as unprepared. Business attire is what you should be aiming for, formal wear – you have to look the part to be the part. 
         Read our article ' Dress for success at your graduate job interviews'.
  • Interview questions – if you have gone through a recruitment agency they will put you through your paces to prepare you. Understanding the company's expectations from their candidates is important, you need to be able to answer the interview questions honestly, sufficiently and confidently. Read here for more information.

It may sound daunting to begin with, and you may not feel prepared but there is no better feeling than making a good impression and being offered your first job.


I hope you have found this useful!
Best of luck,

Roxanne Chand


  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your comments and feedback here: